Schoolio Social Studies: Communities in Canada, Past and Present (38 Pages)
This Schoolio unit is designed to be suitable for any student learner currently at a grade 5, grade 6, or grade 7 working level.
Please note: This e-book is digital. To have your books printed and shipped to you, please select the ‘Printing and Shipping’ add on before purchase.
This Social Studies curriculum focuses on the various communities in early Canada that contributed to the diversity of Canada today. Your student learner will engage in tactile and concrete learning activities, often including research assignments, journal entries, and media add-ons. This unit asks students to create a short documentary showcasing their cultural heritage. The curriculum includes critical thinking and reflection skills. Student learners are engaged with full colour pages and interesting and varied activities, improving their understanding of the world around them while developing research, reflection, and fine motor skills.
In this 38-page unit, your child will study the following topics:
- Early Settlers
- Timeline of Immigration
- Communities in Early Canada: British Home Children
- Communities in Early Canada: Chinese Canadians
- Communities in Early Canada: Japanese Canadians
- Communities in Early Canada: African Canadians
- Communities in Early Canada: Indigenous Peoples
- Multiculturalism in Canada
- Modern Day Immigration: Ethnic Neighbourhoods
- Modern Day Immigration: Support and Inclusiveness
- Human Rights in Canada
- Canadian Identity
As is the case with all of our Schoolio curriculum, this unit includes daily lessons, each with exercises or activities to solidify comprehension, plus answer keys.