Let’s Talk About: Getting Started with your homeschooling journey in Saskatchewan!
So you’ve made the decision to homeschool in Saskatchewan? How exciting! But what exactly do you need to know about homeschooling in Saskatchewan in order to thrive? What steps do you take now?
What’s the legal side of Homeschooling in Saskatchewan?
- New homeschoolers must give their school district 30 days notice prior to beginning an at-home learning program. Not sure what district you’re in? Check this Provincial Government map of school districts.
- In Saskatchewan regulations are set by the provincial government. All homeschooling registration, files, plans and outcomes are maintained by each school district.
- Each year you will be required to fill out a registration form and an education plan for each child. At the end of the school year, you will need to submit your child’s learning outcomes. Find the registration form here – Homeschooling Program | PreK-12 Education, Early Learning and Schools | Government of Saskatchewan
What Will I Be Required to Teach?
- Parents are not required to teach anything specific in Saskatchewan. However you will be responsible for choosing and directing the program. You need to make sure that the program you choose is age- and ability- appropriate for your child.
- You don’t need to use a pre-made curriculum unless you want to.
- If you think your child might return to public school in the future. Try choosing a Canadian Curriculum that is similar to the Canadian Public School Structure.
- We offer a Canadian curriculum that aligns with the Saskatchewan government standards. Check it out here: Schoolio.io | Homeschooling Canadian Curriculum Support for Parents
What Records Am I Required to Keep?
- Homeschoolers will be required to track their child’s outcomes. This file may include items like their cumulative records, a portfolio of work completed, and test results.
- You won’t be required to do any formal planning in advance. You also won’t have to work on any set schedule. However, both planning and a schedule are extremely useful! If you’re interested in using planning and scheduling in your homeschool, you can find a lot of tips and free templates here: Welcome: Schoolio Planning Freebies – Schoolio.io
- The district that you are in may or may not require you to create report cards. They may provide you with a reporting template. And, if they haven’t but you’d like one, Schoolio has created a template for you! Check it out here: Homeschooling is about more than the “3Rs – Schoolio.io | Canadian Curriculum Homeschooling Home Learning
Is There Funding for Homeschoolers in Saskatchewan?
- Some districts vary with payment of educational costs. To get information on your local district policies you can contact the local homeschool administrator.
- Unfortunately, you won’t be able to write off any of your homeschooling expenses on your taxes.
- Homeschooling does not exempt you from paying school taxes either.
- But, Homeschooling doesn’t have to be expensive. Read more about the costs of homeschooling here: Let’s Talk About: Finances – Schoolio.io | Canadian Curriculum Homeschooling Home Learning
Where Can You Get More Help and Advice on homeschooling in Saskatchewan?
- There are several great resources available for new homeschooling parents in Saskatchewan!
- Our very own blog is extremely beneficial when it comes to all things homeschooling. See for yourself: Blog – Schoolio.io | Canadian Curriculum Homeschooling Home Learning
- Covid Homeschooling- Canada is a facebook group dedicated to helping new homeschoolers in Canada. Find it here: Covid Homeschooling- Canada | Facebook
- Have you heard of ‘The Canadian Homeschooler’? There you will find so many resources for new to experienced homeschoolers. Here’s the link: Home – The Canadian Homeschooler
- See a list of Saskatchewan Homeschool Laws: Homeschooling Program | PreK-12 Education, Early Learning and Schools | Government of Saskatchewan
- Saskatchewan Home-Based Educators (SHBE): http://www.shbe.info/index.html
- Provincial contact information:
Independent Schools and Home-based Education Unit
4th Floor, 2220 College Avenue
Regina, SK S4P 4V9
Telephone: (306) 787-1843
Fax: (306) 798-045
You don’t need to be overwhelmed by homeschooling! Because you’re going to do awesome! And, we are here to help you through every step of the way!